Saturday 23 April 2016

Auroras Peak - Camera

Camera –

For this project, I really wanted to use the Sony A7S instead of the GH4. This is a great little camera and worked really well for the shoot.
We were originally going to use the GH4 but I thought that the visual aspect of the A7S was far greater and would look lovely for this shoot.

The only downside to using my camera was I only have one lens for it, a 50mm 4.1. This is a great little lens but the depth of field is very shallow which caused a few issues on the shoot.
My group didn’t really specify what they wanted so the fact my lens was shallow didn’t even occur to me to be a problem until we actually started shooting. I could have probably got a wider lens but there wasn’t enough time left.

Whilst my camera can shoot 4K, it can’t do it internally. It does have internal stabilization, which was super handy when using the glide cam and the shoulder rig. Shooting a dance routine too can be difficult, so this gave the shots more stability.


For more research and making sure I was doing everything, I watched a seminar by Phillip Bloom where he spoke about the positives of the A7S and how to use it correctly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeX-eZXaRtw



For inspiration for the camera work, I looked into some YouTube videos which involve dance and complex camera movements:

Ed Sheeran – Thinking Out Loud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-EO5I60KA

Gabrielle Aplin – Salvation

No comments:

Post a Comment