Wednesday 27 April 2016

Auroras Peak - Evaluation

I always find it hard to evaluate things, but I’ll try my best.

At the start, there was a real lack of communication between everyone and it was quite frustrating for me, as I’d want to be involved in things but because at the time my role was only ‘costume designer’ I was irrelevant to any decisions made. This is why getting another main role, as camera operator was crucial for me. Not only because I needed a role, but also in nearly every other project I’ve worked on, I’ve always been put down as cinematographer. I don’t mind this, but after a while I’m going to struggle to get out of that category. I wanted to try something new but still relate it to the field I’m interested in. Cinemographer was offered to me but I turned it down to stick to my guns and do something more out of my comfort zone. I also didn’t feel that connected to the storyline so I felt that for this project that role would have been wrong for me.

Throughout the project, there have been many ups and downs and I defiantly feel we have all learnt a lot from this shoot. It has been a real eye opener of how to work with others on a tight schedule and I think we will all take away new skills and develop on those skills for our future projects. Apart from the lack of communication and job roles crossing over, I feel that this shoot has been successful.

Approaching Andre to work on his project as ‘costume designer’, something I’d never attempted or done before was a little daunting for me, but everyone involved in the project was really welcoming and excited to get started.

After further discussion with my group, I was also moved to Camera Operator alongside Klara. After having a meeting with Rosie, she wasn’t too keen on this, but I feel this was a really good arrangement for us both as the shoots were quite stressful and some under extreme weather conditions. We allowed each other to swap and capture shots in our own individual styles and it was nice to work closely with some different for a change.

I have learnt a lot from this unit. I’ve always been very uneasy of starting new projects, and with along with going through a lot of stress lately, I help but feel this affected me greatly with this unit.
I really lack the confidence I used too and because of that, I don’t feel able to fully engage to the best of my ability anymore which I really want to change.

At the beginning of this unit, I had no group and I didn’t really know anyone ‘that’ well to be able to form a group of my own. Throughout the course so far, I have tended to work with the same people because I felt comfortable and we had a set routine. Now those people aren’t here anymore, I’ve had to break out of that comfort zone and throw myself into a completely alien work environment, which was super hard for me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment